Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Ixoras that are fragrant

My Ixora odorata has finally started to really flower. It is a beautiful plant with a great sweet fragrance that fills the air near it. For comparison I've included some of the other fragrant ixoras I have in the yard.

This is the prize Ixora odorata. It has very long flower stems and takes some time to open up, but is worth the wait. This is a native of Madagascar, or so I've been told. Besides the great fragrence, the leaves are a big beautiful green. All these ixoras can get fairly big so I need to prune them after they flower.


This is Ixora fragrans according to the people I bought it from. The fragrence is not nearly as nice as the odorata but nicer than the finlaysonlanum. The flowers bunch up to create a snowball like look but when they die they don't fall off; therefore, the bush is sort of ugly unless you go clip all the dead flowers off. The leaves are also not the best.


And finally the Ixora finlaysonlanum or something like that. It has many of the same problems as the fragrans but I think the fragrence is even more sour.

No comments: